Frame, <shudder> Word, and MIF2GO

Subject: Frame, <shudder> Word, and MIF2GO
From: David Csikos <david -dot- csikos -at- mitratech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:25:29 -0800

Currently, my company is considering using MIF2GO to convert FrameMaker 6.0/7.1 files to Word files. (At this time, we do not plan to use it to compile electronic help files.) I have some specific questions regarding MIF2GO's functionality, and would greatly appreciate input from anyone with knowledge of the following:

1. In Word conversions, how does MIF2GO handle externally referenced .gif images? Our documentation exclusively uses .gifs, and we import them by reference. I have perused Omsys' site and encountered a great deal of text regarding bitmap conversion (and even .tifs), but does MIF2GO convert .gifs? (The doc set for our lead product is over 1500 pages, and we don't want to batch convert everything to .bmps). : (

2. In Word conversions, how does MIF2GO handle cross references? Are they represented exactly as they appear in the Frame File? And, if changes are made within the Word file, do they automatically update? Or, do we have to convert the Frame File again?

3. In Word conversions, what happens to graphic call outs? In our Frame files, we have multiple images with labels/call outs and pointers/arrows (all within the same graphic frame as the imported image). Does MIF2GO convert/incorporate them into the graphic? And, if it does, are they editable?

4. In Word conversions, what happens to text insets? Is the text from referenced file converted as well, and is it editable?

5. In Word conversions, are special characters/graphic elements converted as well? A number of our heading styles in FrameMaker have a line (or bar) underneath them to separate them from body text. When MIF2GO converts a Frame file to Word, are these simple graphic elements converted and represented correctly?

6. In Word conversions, what happens to FrameMaker markers? To meet section 508 accessibility requirements, our documents contain markers for graphic summaries and descriptions. We place these markers in text frames nested inside graphic frames. (All the text for these summaries is contained in the marker, and not visible unless you select the marker for editing in Frame. For end users, marker text is read by accessibility software like JAWS.) Although we build this functionality into our documents for electronic help purposes, will this "layering" of elements provide a problem for a MIF2GO Word conversion?

If anyone can shed some light, please email me at david -dot- csikos -at- mitratech -dot- com

Thanks!
-Dave

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com