Documenting APIs?

Subject: Documenting APIs?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:08:53 -0500

If I've got the attribution right, Helen wondered: <<I remember seeing some posts on documenting APIs on techwr-l over the past few years, but searching the archives for 2003 and 2004 doesn't return anything. And wasn't there an article on this very subject on the site itself? I just can't find it... Anybody got any links? Thanks!>>

Sorry for the delayed response... just got back from celebrating the annual feast of the deceased turkey with my American in-laws, and I've been no-mail for several days.

You're probably thinking of the Gordon and Gordon workshop on API documentation. Haven't attended this workshop myself, but I've attended a couple other G&G seminars over the years (plus many of their talks at local STC events) and they've all been excellent. From the favorable comments on this topic in techwr-l, I assume the API workshop is up to their usual standards.

Have a look at <www.thirdwavestudios.com/gg/workbooks.html> for details; they produce both the books from the workshops and DVDs of the workshops. I've included Marc Proulx, the producer of this product, in this reply so you'll have his e-mail address and can contact him directly for details.

Disclaimer: Manny Gordon, who developed the API workshop, is a friend and colleague. Marc, ditto. But I believe that I'm being objective in recommending the work of both to you.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com