Re: New Guy Question - MS Word

Subject: Re: New Guy Question - MS Word
From: Suzy -dot- Davis -at- doi -dot- vic -dot- gov -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:55:01 +1100

Hi Kevin

You might want to try the Word-PC list:
mailto:word-pc-subscribe-request -at- liverpool -dot- ac -dot- uk to join
(no subject or command text required)
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/word-pc.html

There are master document officianados there who can give you the answers
you seek.

I myself am not a master document believer - I have experienced only grief
with them - but it was a long time ago now so maybe they are better now.
But I still won't go back to them.

There is a another, more manual way, of creating more controllable master
and sub docs in Word using one doc for your cover and TOC, and link fields
for each of the chapter -sub docs. Look up RD fields in your help for an
overview. It's a couple of years since I've need to do this but the only
problem I had with the links not working was they seem to be cantankerous
about spaces in the file path and file name - but are ok on relative paths.

Not sure about your Hidden text, if you are sure it is turned off (and test
in some small document if you are not sure) this could be due to a memory
thing, which has now become a corruption thing (technical terms!). Try
copying the doc, except the last paragraph mark into a new doc and check.
There are more complex versions of this method if this doesn't do the
trick.

Another thought, what about converting to PDF, these can be cross-linked
and will probably more stable on the client desktops.

regards
Suzy

kevin -dot- lovejoy -at- trnswrks -dot- com
Sent by: To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
bounce-techwr-l-165345 -at- lists -dot- t cc:
echwr-l.com Subject: New Guy Question - MS Word

30/11/04 08:25 AM
Please respond to
kevin.lovejoy

I am sure that this has been covered, but you have covered so much that it
is difficult for a new guy to find it.

I have been a COBOL programmer, but have moved up to the position of Tech
Writer.

I have several limitations:
1. Current manual is near 650 pages and over 80 MB.
2. User is limited to a file size of 10 MB per file.
3. Employer wants project done in MS Word.

What I have done so far:
1. I have used Master/Subdoc to create a master with 28 subdocuments.
2. Each document is 9 MB or smaller.
3. Only way to "move" file to user is via a Zip file.

Problems I have encountered:
1. Expand feature is not looking at relative file names for subdocs.
2. Zip is not renaming links to subdocs to new folder (it did the first
time I tried this when the doc was closer to 70 MB.)
3. Hidden Text is appearing although the document is being saved with
Hidden Text option turned off.

Questions:
1. How can I eliminate the above problems.
2. What better options are available (not likely to talk employer into
change.)
3. What is the best way to use this list to find this or other answers in
the future.

Thank you,
Kevin

Any personal or sensitive information contained in this email and
attachments must be handled in accordance with the Victorian Information
Privacy Act 2000, the Health Records Act 2001 or the Privacy Act 1988
(Commonwealth), as applicable.

This email, including all attachments, is confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose, distribute, copy or use the
information contained in this email or attachments. Any confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you in
error. If you have received it in error, please let us know by reply
email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com