Re: Improving (maintaining) writing standards

Subject: Re: Improving (maintaining) writing standards
From: "Simon North" <Simon -dot- North -at- quintiq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:30:27 +0100

Hi Anne,

I've been here in the Netherlands just over 20 years (there aren't
enough wild horses to drag me back) and, like you, I make my living from
tech writing and translating. Admittedly, I'm protected a littlle by the
fact that my geographical location means I am constantly using French
and German as well as Dutch, but apart from second language interference
you will also become aware of the fact that you are completely out of
touch with modern usage and idiom. There must be thousands of 'in' words
and terms to which I am blissfully unaware. Fortunately, in technical
writing at least, this is actually a Good Thing. [OT: I spent the last 7
years writing American English for a Silicon Valley and I think that's
actually done more lasting damage than all my years of working in
Europe.]

Contact with your native language is the best protection (surely you
must get at least BBC by satellite?). As far as writing goes, awareness
is the most important thing.

A lot of us here in the Netherlands had experienced the very same
thing: we call our local variant Dunglish. We formed the Society of
English Native Speaking Editors (SENSE for short). It allowed us to meet
(predominantly socially) and act as 'referees' for each other. It has
grown into quite a large organization with 2 mailing lists (one moderate
'on topic' and one totally free-for-all to which to post off-topic
things such as the latest jokes), and we now organise sessions and
courses to address all sorts of these issues. A couple of the members
have even published books for English speakers on how to avoid going
native, and for Dutch speakers on how to polish away their worst
'abuses'.

I know there's a France chapter of the STC. I'm not sure they would be
much help to you, but it might be worth a try.

Simon North

Quintiq Application Software BV
's Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com