Re: The state of State

Subject: Re: The state of State
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:03:28 +0000

Youngblood, Susan wrote:

I am currently teaching as a Graduate Part-Time Instructor, and I find I have the same problems with students that Bruce describes.

I wonder if part of the reason is that the school system tries so hard to be supportive of students that they simply aren't used to criticism? I used to find that if I said anything that softened the criticism whatsoever, then that was what many students remembered, not the criticism.

Or it may be the selective attention that everybody is capable of. It always amazes me (and slightly terrifies me) how often even very intelligent people take a phrase out of context, and insist that the entire passage reflects that phrase. For example, recently an executive whom I was trying to interview for an article leapt to the conclusion that I was terribly prejudiced against a company because I repeated some problems it had had in the past. In fact, the passage was making a qualified defence of the problems, but the executive couldn't see that.

--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com