RE: W2 to 1099 Conversion Rule Of Thumb?

Subject: RE: W2 to 1099 Conversion Rule Of Thumb?
From: Lisa Wright <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:51:39 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Salary history IS a factor. Seen it time and again. I'm not saying it's always right, but it's a fact. It works to the benefit of those who have had the guts or luck to ask for and get high compensation, and it can work against someone who hasn't. Salary history and market rates can modulate each other--someone with a high history in a market that's depressed will probably get less than they wanted because the market no longer supports the previous rate.

Also, I'm not saying that you have to reveal your history first. We've discussed good negotiating techniques here often. There's no rule that says that you have to let a potential employer walk all over you in any regard, not just salary. Eric, both sides play this game. Employers and employees both have advantages and disadvantages that fluctuate over time. I don't view it as a zero-sum game. If the two parties like each other, they work together (negotiate) to meet each others' needs.

Lisa