Problematic TOC links in PDF from Word

Subject: Problematic TOC links in PDF from Word
From: "Norcross, Amanda" <Amanda -dot- Norcross -at- kla-tencor -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:58:10 -0800

Hello all. I am creating a PDF file from an 8-page Word document. There
is a brief TOC at the beginning of the Word document, and the TOC links
work fine within Word, i.e. I click on a TOC link and it goes directly
to the associated heading. However, when I click on a TOC link in the
PDF file, it jumps to the top of the page that contains the heading,
even when the heading is at the bottom of the page. For example, a TOC
link points to a heading at the bottom of page 4 and clicking on the
link takes me to the top of page 4 rather than the heading at the bottom
of the page.

In contrast, cross-references within the text work fine, i.e they go
directly to the associated heading.

It seems that there should be a setting somewhere that would fix this
problem, but I am not the most PDF-savvy person. I have searched Adobe's
forums and the TECHWR-L archives to no avail. I just know that someone
out there can either provide me with the solution or at least provide a
rational explanation for the behavior.

I am using Acrobat 6.0 and Word 2003.

Thanks in advance and Happy Friday!
Amanda