RE: Shyness; was: Re: Seeking counsel (OT)

Subject: RE: Shyness; was: Re: Seeking counsel (OT)
From: "Neumann, Eileen" <ENeuman -at- franklintempleton -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:22:34 -0500

The Japanese seem to excel at depicting shyness... There was a Japanese movie a couple of years ago called "Shall We Dance?" on this topic. I believe there is a current remake. It involves a married man who takes up ballroom dancing. He and his wife are both quiet and shy even with each other. The dancing and a crush on the teacher help... It's a charming movie, about average people trying however they can to overcome their limitations.

Eileen
Tech writing tie in - Dances with SMEs?

Interestingly enough, our local PBS station last night had an
independent film short from Japan, in which a young man and a young
woman who had known each other in preschool were on the same commuter
train every day for three years--each too shy to speak to the other.
When at last they did, they found that their fears had been
groundless--and they realized they had hesitated all that time for no
reason, although each had strongly wanted to be reacquainted. The film
was much more charming than I am probably making it seem--but it is
merely an illustration of the assumptions that people make when they
are shy regarding how others will respond to any social overtures from
them.

Someone asked "how to you begin to overcome shyness?" I suggest that
understanding what is at its root is helpful, then to develop the
habit of asking yourself "What is the worst that can happen if I
speak?" Usually, the "worst that can happen" isn't all that bad--and,
even if the "worst" happens, you are prepared. Once known,
fear-inducing events become much more reasonably proportioned and,
thus, easier by far to deal with.

David

Notice: All email and instant messages (including attachments) sent to
or from Franklin Templeton Investments (FTI) personnel may be retained,
monitored and/or reviewed by FTIand its agents, or authorized
law enforcement personnel, without further notice or consent.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com