RE: landing the first job

Subject: RE: landing the first job
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:59:38 -0600

> Should I look at copyediting jobs, or
> should I continue my search in technical writing? Or
> is there a different area that would suit me? I open
> for suggestions and would appreciate any help.
> Thank you,
> Lisa Spencer

Hi Lisa,

I started out as a typesetter, then moved to editorial assistant before landing my first job as a technical writer. I worked as a technical editor for a while, too. While each job might not have been my "ideal" job, each was a stepping stone and a learning experience. At my current job, I write user guides, which I absolutely love doing, but I frequently draw on experience from other jobs that I held.

My advice, while you're still new to the whole communications arena, is to take any decent job that's even remotely related to technical writing. Stay there long enough to learn something from it (maybe it will be new software or a particular method for doing something), then continue looking for a better job. Each job that you hold will make you more well-rounded and more confident in yourself as you find that there's nothing you can't do. Eventually, your dream job will come along, and you'll be qualified for it.

Cheers!
Donna

Donna L. Jones
Technical Writer II