Re: Moving to InDesign....

Subject: Re: Moving to InDesign....
From: "Jens Reineking" <J -dot- Reineking -at- interkomelectronic -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:43:28 +0100 (CET)

I've worked more or less extensively with Quark (3.5 or 4.0, I think) and PageMaker 6.5 in the
past and am now a year on InDesign CS. Wouldn't go back. Period. I just had to revisit PageMaker
6.5 to help out a friend and I was simply shocked of what I could not do.

Marketing and advertising will indeed be fine with InDesign, especially if you use the complete
Creative Suite. The tight integration of InDesing, Photoshop and Illustrator is great, it saves
time and trouble.
Technical writing on the other hand... well, see below for missing features.

Depending on the work you do, InCopy could be worth looking into, but I have not worked with it
myself.
Viriginia systems has some useful plugins for giving InDesing cross referencing and better indexing.
Woodwing is often recommended by other ID users when you want to reuse styles on tables and frames.

There is a PageMaker plugin Pack available which gives quicker access to some features and
provides some new like imposing, template browser and lists. The lists feature is, at least for
technical documentation, nearly completely useless since one unnumbered paragraph will reset the
paragraph count to zero and you would have to assign the continued number by hand.

Also not available: live page headers/footers, footnotes, header/picture/table numbering, side
heads and anchored frames.

Picture and table numbering is addressed by a Virginia Systems plugin. It's rumored that an
anchored frame plugin is being developed by a German enterprise.
For the rest, I simply don't know.

InDesign 4.0 (CS 2 or whatever) should come sometime early to mid next year if Adobe keeps the 18
months release cycle. Perhaps we'll see some better long document support then.

Hope this helps,

Jens

<zitiere wer="Al Geist">

> The company I work for is looking to move from PageMaker 7.0 to
> InDesign. I'm part of the Marketing Department and responsible for just
> about everything (corporate web site, product technical manuals,
> marketing literature, product photography, morning coffee....). Has
> anyone move from PageMaker to InDesign and what problems did you
> encounter during the transition?
>
> Thanks in advance for the information.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com