RE: Moving to InDesign...?

Subject: RE: Moving to InDesign...?
From: "tech.writer" <tech -dot- writer -at- insightbb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:03:30 -0600

I have been a die-hard Frame fan and continue to prefer it for manuals,
especially those over 20 pages and those with chapters. However, I got a
new client who insisted on using InDesign for their manuals. They
previously used PM and the clear choice was to move to ID. I initially
went in kicking and screaming (to myself of course) and bought ID CS
with the PM plug-in. I had prior experience with PM so it was fairly
easy to get up to speed with ID. I found out that I like it! I have not
had to move a PM doc to ID yet so I cannot attest to how well it works.
But the bottom line is that I think that ID can be used for many docs
and I believe that Adobe will eventually take the strengths of Frame and
incorporate them into ID. Things like running headers and footers,
automatically updating figure and table numbers, and cross references.

Tim Lewis
Lewis Communications
Writer -at- lewiscomms -dot- com
www.lewiscomms.com

> Subject: Moving to InDesign...?
> From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
> Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:56:18 -0500
>
> Al Geist wondered: <<The company I work for is looking to move from
> PageMaker 7.0 to InDesign. I'm part of the Marketing Department and
> responsible for just about everything (corporate web site, product
> technical manuals, marketing literature, product photography, morning
> coffee....). Has anyone move from PageMaker to InDesign and what
> problems did you encounter during the transition?>>
>
> After having finally given up on PM 7 in frustration, I've just made
> the jump myself (InDesign CS/3.0 on Mac OS-X). So I can only provide
> minimal firsthand information, but so far it seems like a remarkable
> product "on paper"--that is, based on the third-party book by Sandee
> Cohen that I'm reading to get up to speed. My limited experimentation
> thus far suggests that it's going to be a pleasure to use once I
master
> the basics.

<snip>

> Haven't heard any "from the trenches" reviews of CS/3.0 yet, and I'm
> looking forward to hearing more from techwr-l.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com