Re: Reviewing and editing text in Robo Help X5 and CHM files

Subject: Re: Reviewing and editing text in Robo Help X5 and CHM files
From: Lee Hunter <lee -dot- hunter -at- hum -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:36:34 -0500

Quoting Abhijit Sinha <worksbspl1 -at- yahoo -dot- com>:

> (1) Can anyone please let me know if it is possible to
> review and edit text and add comments in
> documents/topics in Robo Help X5 and highlighting the
> changes made similar to that done using track changes
> and comments features in MS-Word.

RoboHelp doesn't have a track changes feature. I've seen people do this manually
by highlighting the changes as they make them but this is very unreliable.

>If this is not
> possible how do you review and edit text in
> documents/topics created using Robo Help and highlight
> the changes made to the same document or topic?

I use RoboHelp (Single Source Layouts) to generate a Word document which I
circulate to reviewers (with Track Changes turned on).

A more cumbersome approach, if you're using a source control program like VSS,
is to run a diff to see the changes between various versions of a file. Another
approach is to use RoboHelp to generate a Word document from the earlier version
of the Help, create another Word document from the updated Help and then use
Word's Compare and Merge feature to show the changes.

If you really need Track Changes, you can also use Word as the RoboHelp editor.
For me, the point of using RoboHelp is to get away from Word, so I haven't
tried this option and can't comment on how well it works or whether Track
Changes is still available in this mode. I'd be interested to hear if anyone
else is doing this.

> (2) How do you review and edit text in a CHM file
> using
> comments or highlights on the same file?

I don't think it's possible to edit a CHM file and, in any case, wouldn't really
be necessary or desirable.

If you want people to review and add comments, you can just generate a Word
version from RoboHelp (as I mentioned above) and transfer their changes to the
source files.

Lee Hunter - Technical Editor & Information Architect

------ http://www.hum.com ------- 613-282-1904 ------

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com