InDesign and Long Documents

Subject: InDesign and Long Documents
From: Ceffyl <ceffyl -dot- aedui -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:49:10 -0500

Greetings.

My groups has just switched to InDesign. We're preparing an abstract book
for a conference that uses automatically numbered headings. This is a
standard feature in other desktop publishing programs like Ventura and
FrameMaker. Unfortunately, turning on automatic numbering in the heading
style adds the number 1 to every heading.

Earlier posts mentioned InDesign being used by other technical writers.
Have any of you had any luck doing numbered or outline-level headings? If
so, how? Is there a plug-in or a trick I'm missing? Would you please email
me here or offlist.

Thank you for any help.

Kim Nylander

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com