Splitting multi-line cell into multiple cells in Word (2002)

Subject: Splitting multi-line cell into multiple cells in Word (2002)
From: T K <tvk_tw -at- yahoo -dot- ie>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:59:35 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I am struggling slightly with the following in Word.

I am using a lot of data from .txt files (viewed via
notepad) as the basis for a parts manual. This data is
to be entered into tables in a Word document - one
table per page. The formatting of the .txt columns
does not fully reflect the format of the columns in
the finished manual - there are extra columns in the
.txt files that are not in the Word table.

I am able to copy columns individually from the .txt
files by opening them in Word (version 2002) and then
pressing Ctrl-Alt-Shift before selecting the desired
text. This then allows me to select columns (or rows)
separately or in groups, thereby allowing me to omit
the text from the undesired columns. This is quite a
useful facility because of its flexibility, and has
been available in Lotus Word-Pro for years. Off-hand I
cannot remember the exact means of doing it in Lotus,
but it is a combination of Control-Shift or
Control-Alt or perhaps all three keys. It allows text
to be copied independently of rows, columns, cells
etc. and is very useful if a mass of data has been
imported from some other application in a relatively
unformatted manner.

So with individual or groups of columns of text
selected I can paste them into the word document in
the appropriate columns. With the cursor in the
appropriate cell in word, I can paste in the column of
text. However the text enters the table as a single
cell with multiple lines. I would like to be able to
split the lines of this cell into individual cells. I
have tried using the Cell Split feature in Word, but
when I choose say 1 column and 10 rows to convert a
single cell containing a column of ten rows, Word just
inserts 9 new rows beneath the individual multiline
cell (of ten rows).

Perhaps I am overlooking something simple here?
Or perhaps it is not possible to do this. I do not
mind having to manipulate each column separately as
there are only four on each page of the manual - 200
in a 50 page manual. But to have to paste cells of
text individually will make this an extrmely tedious
task.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,
Tom.