Re: Why not Word97?

Subject: Re: Why not Word97?
From: Suzy -dot- Davis -at- doi -dot- vic -dot- gov -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:29:54 +1100

Hi Adria

I found Word97's numbering extremely unstable and used the SEQ field method
for my bullets and numbering (I have a tool which makes it easier if you
want to go down this route). There was also that problem where all your
heading numbering would disapear due to excessive TOC creation (the
solution was to remove the first Heading 1 style paragraph, and recreate
it). Easily fixed but a shock when you are on a deadline.

Apart from that I think you should be ok except for the nested tables and
protection issues others have mentioned. And you may need to tweak your
code - should be minor changes though. I modified one of my 2003 tools
recently for a 2000 customer and had to remove a couple of things.

kind regards
Suzy

<snip>
I have a new job at a great company with only one problem: they use Word97
running on XP. As the newbie, I am carrying the torch for my writing
colleagues and championing moving us to a different version (I'd say
"later" but at this point I'm ready to vote for Word95). I could use some
help.

Management's main concern--seems to be templates and file formats. It
seems like Word97-2002 files all are compatible. Can anyone verify that
for me? Should there be a need for much reworking of templates that use VB
programming?
TIA,
Adria Quinones

Any personal or sensitive information contained in this email and
attachments must be handled in accordance with the Victorian Information
Privacy Act 2000, the Health Records Act 2001 or the Privacy Act 1988
(Commonwealth), as applicable.

This email, including all attachments, is confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose, distribute, copy or use the
information contained in this email or attachments. Any confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you in
error. If you have received it in error, please let us know by reply
email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com