RE: Question about how to start small Web site

Subject: RE: Question about how to start small Web site
From: oudeis <oudeis -at- tampabay -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 13:44:51 -0500

At 01:05 PM 1/9/2005, Bonnie Granat wrote:

However, if
the organization gets webhosting through another institution, it may not be
able to have its own domain. The difference would be as follows:

www.some-educational-institution.edu/greatnonprofit.html

-vs.-

www.greatnonprofit.org

Hi Bonnie and James,

I'd add that you can use a redirection or site forwarding service. My friends and I put together a resource (pre-Google days) that had a domain name hosted on our free university account space. The site visitor saw www.ourdomain.org but it was pointing at at www.uni.edu/~oudeis/. At the time it was considerably cheaper since Web hosting easily ran $40/month and more, which wasn't doable on a student budget.

Here's an explanation at a university site:
http://tracweb.ed.umuc.edu/domain_names.htm

Sometimes, people with free hosting space provided when they subscribe to an ISP (comcast, bellatlantic, verizon, etc) use the redirect service to set up small sites without paying an additional monthly hosting fee. In the past, I've seen others use the free web space accounts (like geocities) to do the same thing.

I'm actually surprised to see a university page indicating it's OK to use redirection/forwarding. I can just imagine some of the domain names students might come up with!

Kate

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com