Re: Question about how to start small Web site

Subject: Re: Question about how to start small Web site
From: Lee Hunter <lee -dot- hunter -at- hum -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 14:28:10 -0500

James Jones wrote:

Right now I'm thinking that they have to do everything very very
cheaply (like at no-cost).

Fortunately basic Web stuff is almost no-cost anyway. Ballpark figures would be US$100 a year or less for a no-frills hosting service (this will give you more than enough disk space, bandwidth and email addresses for a small organization to get started) plus maybe $15 a year for registering the domain. If you outgrow the basic service you can always upgrade or change providers. It's so cheap I can't see a strong reason, even for a small non-profit, to go begging for donated webhosting. The hassle and the loss of independence are probably not going to be worth it.

For example, I don't even know
whether we have to ask for Web space.

That's supplied to you by your hosting service for your +/- $100 a year.

>And then
there is the other country (Iraq) -- I think they are assigned Internet
addresses that are available

Forget about dealing with the Iraqi registrar (if it exists) and the Iraqi domain name extension for the following reasons:
- you don't need it
- it will be a big hassle
- it's probably more expensive and
- since the country is teetering on the brink of chaos you might end up losing control of the name anyway.

I would strongly recommend just going to a regular domain name registrar (usually you can do this through your hosting service) and register a .net or .org domain. The fact that the organization is based in the middle east is pretty much irrelevant to how you host and manage the website.

Lee Hunter - Technical Editor & Information Architect

------ http://www.hum.com ------- 613-282-1904 ------

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com