Re: Rumor about Framemaker - is it true?

Subject: Re: Rumor about Framemaker - is it true?
From: "Janet Swisher" <swisher -at- enthought -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:41:12 -0600

"Phillip St. James" <saint0 -at- verizon -dot- net> wrote:

> A privately held Texas software company with operations in California
> buying
> and successfully running a Silicon Valley mainstay has been tried and you
> tell me... Does this really sound doable? Texas and Cali would be very
> strange bedfellows indeed... I don't see the "culture" element meshing,
but
> I could be wrong.

Whoa there, pardner! I think your stereotypes are running away with you like
an unbroken filly. I doubt that high-tech management cultures in Austin and
Silicon Valley are as far apart as you seem to think. Folks in Texas don't
really walk around with six-guns strapped to their hips. Rather, a large
percentage of the high-tech people in Austin moved here from the Bay
Area/Silicon Valley to start with (and were able to buy very nice houses
they couldn't have afforded in CA).

As someone else pointed out, the development team for FrameMaker is mostly
not in California anyway.

And as someone else pointed out, the issue has more to do with a small
company buying a large product from a large company over a thousand miles
away. This idea has little chance for success, but exactly where the two
parties are located has little to with it.

> After the Enron and White House-blessed Texas energy broker rip-off

What this has to do with technical writing or software I fail to see. While
you seem to be trying to paint all Texans as reactionary profiteers, you are
mainly exhibiting your own prejudices.

> Austin
> is as progressive an area as there is in Texas, too.

True, Quadralay is in Austin. We have an airport with a cappuccino stand, so
you don't have to set foot in the vast "red" plains. (You can even fly the
"nerd bird" direct from San Jose, so you don't even have to change planes at
DFW.) Isn't that a point in favor of compatibility?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com