Re: Space Before and After?

Subject: Re: Space Before and After?
From: "Janet M. Swisher" <swisher -at- enthought -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:16:10 -0600

Steven Jong wrote:

> Speaking of elements that fall atop a page, we are being driven slowly
> mad by trying to use a Word template that gives different results for
> level heads that fall atop a page depending on how we broke the
> starts the next page naturally, it falls a certain distance (1/1
> inches) from the top of the page. If the previous page ended with a
> page break, it falls a quarter-inch lower. The style "Level 3 Head with
> Break," defined in our template, falls three-eighths of an inch lower!

Have you experimented with the "Suppress extra line spacing ..." options in Word? They are on the Compatibility tab of the Tools > Options dialog box. There are several variations, one of which might help you.

These options apply only to the current document, unless you click the "Default" button, which case they're applied to the active template. You should probably do this from within the template file, to reduce possible confusion.

I found this tip in Aaron Shepard's e-book, _Books, Typography, and Microsoft Word: How to Get High-Quality Type for Desktop Book Publishing, Self Publishing, and Print on Demand, or Tips on Typesetting Without Quark, PageMaker, or InDesign_:
http://aaronshep.com/publishing/books/WordType.html

--Janet

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com