Re: Framemaker/UNIX viable on Macs?

Subject: Re: Framemaker/UNIX viable on Macs?
From: slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 06:30:25 -0700

> Eric Ray reported: <<[Framemaker for UNIX on Mac OS] They're not at all
> compatible. Software (like Frame) must be compiled to run on a specific
> operating system & specific hardware.>>
>
> Yup. Though this begs the question of how difficult it would really be
> for Adobe to recompile Frame for Unix so that it ran under the OS-X
> flavor of Unix. Not trivial, certainly, but doable.

Recompiling the source probably is trivial. Porting, testing and providing
support under OS X is anything but trivial. Presumably the folks at Adobe
have already looked into the costs and decided they can't make it pay for
itself.

So I think the options for Mac users are:

1. Must run latest Frame on Mac

Run current Windows version of Frame under Virtual PC on Mac. Allow for
the likely cost of beefing up your Mac to run Frame at a tolerable
speed.

2. Must run Frame on Mac, doesn't have to be latest version

Run Frame 7.0, either in Classic mode, or on a networked older
(cheaper)
Mac running OS 9--in effect, a dedicated Frame box.

3. Must run latest Frame, want to keep running everything else on Mac

A low-end PC with Windows XP dedicated to running the latest version of
Frame could be a cheap and workable alternative. XP networks fairly
painlessly with OS X.

Stuart Burnfield
mailto slb at westnet dot com dot hey you

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com