Convincing leaders and management of the value of technical editing

Subject: Convincing leaders and management of the value of technical editing
From: TiggerNibroc -at- gmail -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:33:44 -0700

Questions and answers continue to ripple among us at conferences and in
listservs or newsgroups. "How do editors justify their existence?" "How
does an editor show that he or she adds value?" "What are our cost-benefit
ratios?" "What promotes (or defends) the role of editing?" "Are editors
following the lonesome path of the nickel phone call -- that dusty, lonely
route to extinction or obsolescence?"

In August 2002, STC's "Technical Communication" published an article by
myself, Pat Moell, and Mike Boyd. It included discussions of showing the
value that technical editing brings to products. We received helpful and
interesting stories from technical communicators that they were successful
in promoting the value of technical editing.

Pat, Mike, and I want to follow up on this topic. We want to hear your
success stories and your less-than-successful stories when you went to
management or the client to advocate for editing. What worked? What did
not work as well? What resources did you use to support your case? For
instance, are there articles, tools, or Web sites that helped you convince
others of the value of technical editing?

Feel free to respond to this listserv, or contact us directly:

Michelle Corbin -- corbinm -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com
Pat Moell -- pat -dot- moell -at- sas -dot- com
Mike Boyd -- blueboyd -at- bellsouth -dot- net

Thanks!

Michelle

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com