Frame to OO--was Re: replacing Word - Framemaker vs Indesign?

Subject: Frame to OO--was Re: replacing Word - Framemaker vs Indesign?
From: <Michael -dot- Long -at- thomson -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:46:12 -0500

Bruce,

To change tangent somewhat, what if any experience do you have with
copying content back and forth between Frame and OO? For SME review,
etc., we currently convert from Frame through Mif2Go to Word. What do
you suppose are the options for going from Frame to OO, and
practicality?

Also how is the copying/importing from OO into Frame, say compared to
Word? After a year I find this flow a manageable nuisance except for
copying changes into Frame tables. Any advantages in OO vs Word?

I ask because although Frame>Word>Frame is workable, the Word part of it
can still be a time-trap when we least expect it. I'm hoping to make
time this year to experiment with OO myself.

Mike
> Subject: Re: replacing Word - Framemaker vs Indesign?
> From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
> Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:12:40 -0800
>
> I should also mention that one of the reasons why I think that OOo a
> good FrameMaker replacement is that both programs, unlike MS
> Word, seem
> oriented to page layouts and long documents. In many ways, the logic
> behind the programs is similar - although users can sometimes
> be tripped
> up differences.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com