Frame Book attributes not updating in footer in TOC and Index

Subject: Frame Book attributes not updating in footer in TOC and Index
From: "Partridge, Robert" <Robert -dot- Partridge -at- au -dot- unisys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:02:01 +1100

I asked this on the Frameusers list and got no replies, so wondered if there was anyone on here who might be able to help.

I had a look on the web for this problem, but couldn't find anything close.

In Framemaker+SGML 6, Windows, I have a problem with an existing template that I'm trying to resolve. I have an attribute in the book file for the book part number called say 'book_part_number'. This is referenced in the footer for each chapter with the definition for Running H/F 3 as <$attribute[book_part_number:Guide]>.

When I regenerate the book each chapter's footer updates perfectly. For TOC and Index files I have a locally defined variable for the part number. Which also works fine. However, it irks me that I have to put the part number in several places. I tried putting the same footer definition from the chapter template into the TOC footer, but it does not work - the updated TOC footer remains stubbonly blank. I'm assuming that somehow because it's a generated file it can't reference that book level attribute.

Does anyone know why this doesn't work for TOC and Index? Is there a way of getting the book level attribute to update in the TOC and Index files? Or are we stuck with our current situation? In the past I've used variables which are imported into the rest of the book for this kind of thing. I like the idea of using the book level attribute though.

cheers,

Rob

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com