Re: single-sourcing/robohelp/framemaker

Subject: Re: single-sourcing/robohelp/framemaker
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:26:05 -0500

The MIF route means this:

1) Author in FM. This becomes one set of content you have to update
and synchronize.
2) Save as MIF.
3) Import the MIF into RoboHelp.
4) Edit the content in RoboHelp for presentation and, as needed, to
make sure things like graphics, links, generated lists are okay. This
becomes the second set of content you have to update and synchronize
... or, you can keep redoing steos 1 - 4.

If you want to single source from RoboHelp, don't use FrameMaker,
neither use Word. Keep your content in RoboHelp and see if you can
make that work.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:12:24 +0000, Juliet Adlington
<Juliet -dot- Adlington -at- reuters -dot- com> wrote:
<snip> From your response I assume that once the information from FrameMaker is
> in RoboHelp there is a lot of manual work to be done, in order to get
> the online help? Hence making it, as you say, repurposing instead of
> single-sourcing. This is very important for us, as we do want to
> single-source: pdfs and online help from a single source without
> editing/manual reworking etc. You say you converted to rtf. I was
> wondering if you tried the mif method as well?

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com