Re: What Are Writing Skills?

Subject: Re: What Are Writing Skills?
From: "Jerry Muelver" <jerry -at- hytext -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:49:33 -0600

I can make an engineer into a writer a lot easier than I can make a writer into an engineer. Communication is the eliciting of a response -- effective communication is the eliciting of a desired response. Engineers understand and respect the difference, and will gladly work to a spec that says, "Get thus-and-so behavior out of the reader," whereas a capital-W Writer will more often work for personal warm fuzzies and leave the consequences of readers' behavior up to the readers themselves.

In the 60's, writing programmed instruction materials, we tested the hell out of every sequence to make sure real live instruction was taking place, and measured the progress with pretests and posttests. But now, even managers think they're technical communicators once they learn how to pick a page template or two in PowerPoint, hunt-and-peck a headline, and drag a piece of clipart onto the page.

(Before anyone accuses me of being just a bitter old man, I better point out that I'm not really all that old.)

---- Jerry Muelver

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com