Re: Latest in voice recording devices?

Subject: Re: Latest in voice recording devices?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:20:38 -0800

Dick Margulis wrote:

I've got a gig ghostwriting a book and need to interview the "author" at some length. I haven't owned a tape recorder in decades and haven't kept up much with the technology.

What's good for this kind of project? Mostly I need to be sure that I'm picking up intelligible conversation as voices modulate and people move around over a period of a few hours.

I'm being paid well for this project, so price is not a huge consideration. Mostly I want trouble-free operation; I don't want to be shuffling tapes every half-hour; and I want something that is comfortable and convenient to use. Is recording still done on tape? On CDs? On memory sticks? See how out of it I am?

I recently shpped for a portable recorder myself, so I'm in a position to answer.

Portable recorders start with micro cassettes, and work up through mini-CDs to iPods with a special add-on. The advantage of the low end is that it's reliable technology, with most of the bugs out of it. The advantages of the high end is that you can transfer the result to your computer, and even transcribe it if you have the right equipment.

The disadvantages of the low end is that you can go through a lot of micro cassettes, and have to break during a long session to change them. The disadvantages of the high end is that you pay heavily for the latest technology, and it isn't always reliable.

For now, I'm working with the microcassettes. The recorder is cheap, and will work reliably until the prices at the high end come down in a year or so.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l