Document review process?

Subject: Document review process?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:55:14 -0500

Sara Hassen reports: <<I am trying to develop a document review process for my division. I am the lone Technical Writer within a group of scientists (Ph.D. level). It is the common assumption that every document I produce should be 100% error free. This of course is a daunting task.>>

It's an impossible task, and thus an unreasonable one. You might point out to your PhD's that if this were possible even for their superior intellects (let alone our humble editorial minds <g>), science journals would not require a peer-review process, and even if they did, they would always have their manuscripts accepted on the first try, with no revisions required.

They'll get the message.

<<I strive to maintain accuracy, but without a review process, the errors are unnoticed until the document is utilized.>>

Who is utilizing the documents? These people should clearly be enlisted in your review process. Traditionally (I've been doing this for nearly 20 years for a variety of employers and for more international research journals than I can count), editors do a preliminary review of the documents to clean them up, the documents undergo peer review to detect any technical errors, then the editor does a final pass to catch any errors introduced during revision. That's the minimum.

<<I proof all my documents twice prior to release, but this is obviously not adequate.>>

For what it's worth, no human ever gets the job done perfectly the first time. Standard editorial practice is _at least_ two passes through manuscript, ideally separated by at least one day. Most of us strive for an additional pass if we have time and energy.

If you're finding that you repeatedly make specific kinds of mistake, budget an hour every week (at home, if necessary) to focus on understanding the problem. For each new manuscript that you edit, make a separate pass through the manuscript looking exclusively for that problem and ignoring all others. After a couple weeks of this, you'll find that you have internalized the process of spotting this particular type of problem and can move on to learning to recognize another problem.

Also, if you're not already doing onscreen editing (e.g., revision tracking in Word), start doing so. The various tools that a good word processor provides can greatly increase both your editing speed and your accuracy. If you have access to STC publications, have a look at my quarterly column in _Intercom_) magazine on onscreen editing (which began appearing back in 2000 or thereabouts). Lots of helpful tips (or so my readers claim) to teach you the art of onscreen editing.

<<This brings me to the conclusion that a formal review process needs to be implemented.>>

This is standard, and should come as a surprise to nobody.

<<My question to you is this, how many reviews do your documents undergo prior to being released for use? Also, who are the people who review the documents, end-users, fellow writers?>>

Here's one common approach (which I've seen used in both government and private-sector organizations): editorial review of first draft, research director (RD) or managerial review, peer (SME) review or "external" review by people outside your organization, second editorial review, desktop publishing, final editorial review (proofreading). The RD and SME reviews may be reversed in order, or may be simultaneous. There may be no second editorial review if you're publishing your own materials, in which case your last chance comes after layout. There may be no final review (proofreading) if a journal or other publisher will be publishing your materials, or you may be sent proofs to review.

When I do freelance science editing, I only get one kick at the can, so except when I have an unusually tight deadline, I usually edit on day 1, set it aside, then re-edit on day 2 or 3. This catches enormously more errors than trying to do everything all on the same day. It's not just me, by the way; the vast majority of my editorial colleagues report the same results.

<<I am at my wits end trying to articulate the need for document review PRIOR to release.>>

All your PhDs will be intimately familiar with the review process that occurs prior to a thesis defence, and those that publish in research journals will be equally familiar with the peer-review process. It should not be hard to convince them of the need for reviews.

www.geoff-hart.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com