Re: Document Review Process

Subject: Re: Document Review Process
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:57:38 -0800

Our documents get three reviews:

1. Template review (by writers, engineering, marketing)
(conducted each time we change the standard
document structure, not for each document)
2. Writer peer review
3. Technical "pre-flight" review by engineer

Our company's approach is that the engineers developing
a product are 100% responsible for ensuring technical
accuracy of everything that goes into the product, and the
documents are part of the product. No document is released
without the engineer's written clearance that it is technically
correct. Usability, grammar, style and other "touchy-feely
tech pubs issues" are our responsibility, and complaints
from the field in those areas come to us, but if the data in
the document is technically inaccurate, the hammer falls
on the developers.

Gene Kim-Eng