Re: STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect? (take II)

Subject: Re: STC chapter question -- what should an employer expect? (take II)
From: "Sherry Michaels" <sherry -dot- michaels -at- docntrain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 14:27:35 -0700

Tony asks: <<What goes on at a "good" STC meeting? We used to have formal
STC meetings here in the area that I live, but now only "networking"
luncheons.

What makes an STC meeting draw people? What are meetings really like?>>

That depends on each chapter. In the Phoenix chapter year this year, we had
meetings that were networking only, and one on networking tips. We've had
one on the STC Transformation.

We also try to mix our meetings with technical topics, usually every other
one is technical. Our topics are approximately 1 hour long after dinner in
the evenings.

The technical topics have been things like: Graphics 101, Trends in User
Assistance, Indexing, documentation for the FAA and pilots, and one next
week is "Estimating technical documentation projects."

It depends on the chapter, chapter management and the chapter programs
manager.

What draws people? The reason we vary the programs is that different
programs draw distinctly different people from presumably the same
membership. Some people really want to shore up their personal skills,
others their technical skills, still others just want to network and see old
friends outside work in a safe environment. Assuming "different strokes for
different folks," I'd say you'd have to ask them; which would mean attending
several different meetings!

Sherry
Sherry Michaels
President