Looking for totally subjective opinions on HATs

Subject: Looking for totally subjective opinions on HATs
From: technical -at- theverbalist -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:48:15 -0700

Hello WR-Lers
Currently our docs are delivered to our end-users as PDFs but we want to
start delivering them in a more on-line format, something that looks and
works like the MSDN Library
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp), so that information that
is currently spread across several guides will be accessible in one place.
This will be our new primary delivery format, but we also need to be able
to create PDFs of the user info, and supply content in Word documents for
training guides, internal users, and marketing.

We work in Word, and are considering WebWorks for Word, AuthorIT, and
RoboHelp. Since all three tool seem to be able to give you the same end
products, I'm having trouble deciding what's going to work best for us.
There are two of us writers, so file control and working across a network
isn't an issue. We just want something that's easy to use, and spits out
what we need at the end of the day...but isn't that what we all want...

So I'm looking for some subjective opinions on working with them. Is using
one product like soaking in a warm bath? Does using another make you want
to gouge your eyes out if you have to deal with it's obtuseness one more
time? Is one product so intuitive that it seems to know what you're
thinking? Does another seem to know what you're thinking and do the exact
opposite?

Any thoughts, rants, and witnessing on behalf of you HAT would be
appreciated,
Mandy

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com