Re: What Are Writing Skills?

Subject: Re: What Are Writing Skills?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:22:17 -0800

"Walden Miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com> wrote...

> Personally, I am amazed that any writer wants
> to have a step by step procedure.

This one's fairly easy. It's to define process, which is
a necessity in today's ISO/SOX working environments.
I don't think even the most process-driven person will
maintain that you have to follow a specific step-by-step
procedure in exact order without any variation for your
company's individual culture or cases, but having
one to serve as a template for your operation is what
forms the dividing line between having a process that
you can say you are working to or deviating from and
just waving a magic wand and trusting to providence.

"Structuring" the process of documentation is really
no different from documenting best practices in design,
manufacturing, service or any other part of your business;
you pick apart what you did and what the results were, then
repeat the things you did that produced desirable results
and write them down so that others can reproduce your
results (and so that you can pass the @#$%^& audits).
However, the result may only be applicable to your particular
situation and totally worthless as anything you can preach
and pontificate about to your colleagues who work in other
companies or industries.

Gene Kim-Eng

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com