RE: Who's where, and how do we know?

Subject: RE: Who's where, and how do we know?
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:19:28 -0500

Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com wondered:

> When I read this, it sounded like he had the issue of not knowing who
> needed the information... Sometimes companies have staff that do not
> receive email addresses or phone extensions and therefore do
> not make it
> into the directories... or there are third party users at other
> companies... sometimes even temporary workers, warehouse
> personnel, shared
> team members etc. There may also be people tangential to the
> core staff
> that interact with the system. Also directories don't always
> get updated
> consistently or contain all the information on all the
> projects someone is
> working on. I remember one project where additional users
> were discovered
> during field series training.
>
> Is the issue one of "user discovery" or "mail delivery"?

It's "user discovery". Everybody's on the company mail system, but
most of 'em don't have title and department/group filled out in
their Outlook profiles. Even so, that would be a tedious way to
look up "everybody who would benefit from procedure XYZ". Nor do
we want to be stuck with creating our own mailing lists in Outlook,
that we'd have to maintain.

As it happens, I've been informed that IT is preparing to launch a
distributed solution that will let everyone keep their own profiles
up-to-date, as well as allowing department heads and group admins to
include membership/category flags. So, potentially it will soon be
possible to push stuff to "all sales-related personnel" or to "all
admin assistants and executive assistants" globally, without indulging
in company-wide broadcast e-mail.

That was the other half of the problem. When you want to give a file
to perhaps 50 people within a population of 1000 or more, you don't
e-mail the file to everybody (or IT impales your head on a stake as
a warning to other fools...). But if you just post a link, you get
that problem I was asking about the other day. The links work for
some people, but not for others, depending on which country or
branch of the intranet they inhabit. Domain issues, firewall settings,
etc., etc.

Anyway, the future is suddenly looking rosier, so I can stop pushing
string and let other people do their jobs and hand me the solutions.

Kevin

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com