Re: Adjusting to a new country

Subject: Re: Adjusting to a new country
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:10:17 -0600

Obviously, Ukraine is not an EU country--so you have two objectives, it appears.

I am presently negotiating with an American who is controlling
interest owner in an outsourcing firm in Ukraine about taking on a job
there doing tech writing. There are also a few jobs now and again in
Russia for native English-speaking tech writers.

Most of these are very low-paying, since the general rates in those
countries of the former Soviet Union are low. Offsetting this,
somewhat, is the fact that in much of the area the costs of living can
be quite low (except in Moscow, St. Petersburg, or perhaps Kyiv).

>From my own research, it appears that there will be increasing
interest in having people onsite at the development location where
outsourced program development is being done. When and if the
compensation rates will advance to be more comparable to the West is
unclear.

For working in the field within the FSU, I think it would be advisable
to seek the firms that are owned by firms or individuals in the West.
Some have development departments there, while others outsource to a
local company but may be open to having either an on-site writer
employed by the Western firm or they may have this as a requirement in
their contract. In my case, negotiations are ongoing to have the
second situation begun.

There are Internet resources that list companies doing outsourced
programming in the region. For example, there is
http://www.outsourcing-russia.com/ That site contains a directory of
vendors, many of whom have websites or email contacts you may wish to
contact with your questions.

Since there are plenty of members of this list who are working within
the EU, I shall leave it to them to comment on what things may be like
for them.

David

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com