Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees?

Subject: Re: Giving a surprise test to interviewees?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:48:49 -0800

That's probably because they structured the interview to "test" how you would go about researching the product, interviewing the SME's
and, possibly, organizing your approach to managing the project, schedule, deliverables, reviews, etc.?

My basic problem with written tests is that they don't "test" what I
consider the most important abilities in a tech writer (see above).
If you're specifically looking for grammar, composition and tool
skills evaluation, they may serve a purpose, but they don't do diddly
to tell me how a writer is going to manage to complete a project that meets the deliverable requirements and is completed in time to
support product shipment.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Posada" <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>

During the interview, after speaking with two other people
(developers), the VP cam in. He explained the application I would be
documenting (a VERY large Human Resources portal). I found out later
that the position I was offered was was based on the questions I
asked him as he explained the system during the interview.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Your Ad Here! Have a product or service you'd like to get some attention for? Use this space to get the word out! Contact lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com