Re: How To Choose A Good TW

Subject: Re: How To Choose A Good TW
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 06:41:44 -0800

When I was interviewed for my current position, I took
along a portfolio of my work in hard copy. During the
interview I was asked about specific methods of doing
documentation, and I was able to show him exactly
where I used something and to explain why.

Ask the interviewee about something relevant to the
job, and to see how it was handled in a previous
situation. If the interviewee pirated the material,
they are unlikely to be able to answer specific,
detailed questions about it.

Asking detailed questions about examples in a portfolio
should allow the interviewer to weed out those who
used someone elses material, and elicit something about
the technical abilities of the writer just from how
the answers are given.

This, of course, assumes that the interviewer is
a tech writer who can spot things to question on
a sample, not an HR person with no technical writing
experience.

I would think that this would provide much more evidence
of the skills of a tech writer than a writing test.

CB - who obtained a job from such an interview when
asked about the use of graphics, photos, and other
visual elements in the portfolio.
--
http://www.surfy.net for Free Email <br> http://www.ergova.com for Low Prices on Hotels, Books, and more.