Re: Taking Credit

Subject: Re: Taking Credit
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:15:12 -0500

I wasn't attempting to address the issue of writers' names
in documents. I was simply responding to Bill Swallow's
statement that he had not seen "programmer names in
software" in about a decade.

Fred Ridder

From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:13:25 -0800

However, the printed and online manuals for these programs do
not list the names of their creators (they're in that splash screen
for the product).

The question of whether to put writers' names in documents is
mostly a company policy matter, but the one issue I have with
it is that it encourages the perception that the documents are
a creative effort apart from the product, rather than an integral
part of the product. If I or my dept are to be publicly credited anywhere, I would have that credit be as a part of the product's development team.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
If that's true, you must not be a user of Adobe Illustrator. The title
screen (or splash screen, or whatever they call it), which is displayed
for about 45 seconds while the application loads actually lists nearly
three dozen names (along with about a dozen patent numbers).

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com