problem with a link from a web page to an ftp server

Subject: problem with a link from a web page to an ftp server
From: "Elizabeth O'Shea" <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:59:45 +0100

I'm creating a logo repository. I want it to be very easy to use for
everyone involved in marketing, and I want to control the images. Because
people around the world need to access the logos, I'm trying to put up a web
page that contains links that download an image from an ftp server separate
to the ftp server that hosts the web page. I don't just send users to the
ftp server because I want them to be able to easily view what they're
getting before they download it.

But it's broken, and I can't figure out why. The html syntax appears to be
correct. When I click the link, it should display the dialog box that asks
you if you want to open or save the file. But instead I get the 'page cannot
be displayed' message. The ftp server is up and available, and the test
image is definitely on it and in the correct folder. I don't need a password
for this folder on the ftp site.

I'm quite puzzled because there is a similar link on another page of the
website that goes to the same ftp server, and that all works properly. Any
notion what I might be doing wrong?

elizabeth

elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com