Re: Generic and device specific docs

Subject: Re: Generic and device specific docs
From: "CB Casper" <knowone -at- surfy -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:03:49 -0800

Turn this around and think about it from the
customer's point of view. Would you want to start with
one doc, and then have to find the second doc to
complete the task at hand? And then have to sort
through the various possible installations to figure
out which is the proper one? Probably not. You want
everything in one place at the same time.

We have a product that can be installed in one of
several systems. I expect the following scenario.
A customer buys more than one, and stashes the spare
somewhere. Some time later they have a need for the
item, but for another system than initially intended.

They have the docs that have a separate chapter for
each system and have everything available for using
the product regardless of what they purchased it for.

I expect people (I know I would) them to tear out and
toss the chapters they don't need, and go do the
install with the appropriate chapter in hand.

CB - thinking about it from the customer's perspective

>> We have a software product ?Device Software?.
Device Software can be installed on about 25 different
brands/types of devices. The install and use is pretty
much the same no matter what device. But there are
some differences (screenshots, menus on the device
etc) because each device is a little different. <<
--
http://www.surfy.net for Free Email <br> http://www.ergova.com for Low Prices on Hotels, Books, and more.