Re: (long) Technical Writing - What's the catch?

Subject: Re: (long) Technical Writing - What's the catch?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:06:28 -0800

My experience has been that the treatment you get is usually closely
related to the treatment you expect, accept and are willing to work for.

When I first started working as an engineer in the 70's, I was endlessly
told how there was a "glass ceiling" in engineering for someone from
my particular background. I didn't question it because the people who
were telling me this were people who came from the same background
whose opinions I generally thought a lot of and so didn't make much of
an effort to move up. Sure enough, 15 years later I hadn't moved up
much. When I made the move to writing, there were no such people
who had been there before me, and the astonished reactions I received
from people who realized that someone who looked like me *and* had
been trained as an engineer could write well told me that I was on
relatively untrodden ground, so I decided to not be as self-limiting.

No, 15 years later I am not making millions, nor am I likely to ever
become the CEO of this place, but I think it's safe to say that I have
gone farther in this field than most people who come from the same
place I did would ever have expected me to (including me) 30 years
ago. I won't go so far to say that all I had to do was decide not to
accept less, but it's a sure bet that I wouldn't be here if I had decided
*to* accept less as being inevitable.

Gene Kim-Eng