RE: Criticizing Writers - What Would You Have Done?

Subject: RE: Criticizing Writers - What Would You Have Done?
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:57:44 -0800

Why? Flaming someone, whether online or in person, demonstrates only that
one does not have the skills to work things out any other way. Increasingly,
our workplaces lack managers with people skills and even any desire to
discuss, negotiate, consult, convince, or inspire.

At the heart of that is poor interpersonal communication skills, as well as
a dearth of personal values where the welfare of another is as important, if
not moreso, than your own. It's very easy to flame someone if you don't care
about them in any way. Rushing to criticize someone is a good strategy for
ensuring that there will always be distance or a barrier between you.

Technical writing is a relationship business. We have to build relationships
with our readers, our subject matter experts, our higher-ups, and our
co-workers in order to achieve our writing goals. Relationships are based on
communication. If you cannot communicate effectively with someone, you are
not going to be able to create a worthwhile equitable relationship with them
either.

Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
Toronto, ON 416-491-5050 x3133