Re: giving a toss about documentation

Subject: Re: giving a toss about documentation
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:54:26 -0800

I ceased attempting to convince corporate management
of the value of documentation a long time ago. Now I
concentrate on determining what the management view
of documentation already is at a prospective employer
and consider that when making decisions about job offers. Note my emphasis on *management view.*
Individual engineers and other contributors' views on
product documentation are of secondary importance, so long as I can count on management to hold the line on not allowing product to ship without it and on holding
product managers responsible for ensuring that the
requirements for their projects are lined up and in
place when they are needed.
My message to executives asking me about technical publications: tell me that you want it and I will tell you how I can make it work for you; ask me why you need it and I am not the tech pubs manager for you.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "shankAtIndiaDotcom" <ss_rajanala -at- yahoo -dot- com>

For those who believe in (the usefulness of docs)
no explanation is necessary; for those who don't
believe, no amount of academic research is
adequate.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com