Re: giving a toss about documentation

Subject: Re: giving a toss about documentation
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:11:27 -0800

Consumer video equipment is probably a very poor choice of an
analogy for documentation, because the industry has spent decades
developing products are are sufficiently user-friendly to require
minimal or even no documentation outside of their own embedded
menus. VCRs and DVD players are, however, a great example of
what well thought out user interfaces can do for products. Spend
a few moments with an old VCR from the early 80's and it quickly
becomes apparent how much easier the newer products are to
use for what is their most common function (playing movies from
the video rental store).

Gene Kim-Eng