RE: exempt vs. non-exempt

Subject: RE: exempt vs. non-exempt
From: Shirley_Kondek -at- BalboaInsurance -dot- Com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:23:35 -0700

And another good comment from Mary worth hearing:

-I have some experience with job classification.

-First, the DoL has written very specific criteria for deciding whether a
job is exempt or non-exempt. There is very little, if any, wiggle room
for HR or a dept. mgr. -to make their own decisions about how to classify
a job.

-Second, we laypeople usually equate exempt = salaried (no overtime) and
non-exempt = hourly (eligible for overtime). This is often true in the
real world. -However, the purpose for the exempt and non-exempt
classifications is not for deciding who gets overtime and who doesn't. The
Exempt classification -means exempt from FLSA strictures, except shops
where a collective bargaining agreement is in place. (Labor unions create
a whole other kettle of fish.)

-Third, we often equate professional = exempt and clerical/staff =
non-exempt. Again, not a valid way of looking at things. I know some
fantastically well-paid -engineers (licensed and everything) who are
non-exempt and who get overtime.

-The DoL cares not one whit about the title of a job. They look only at
the assigned tasks and level of responsibility for classifying a job.

-----------

Mary, I've seen the salary basis test, salary level test, and duties
tests, and it really bothers me that a non-exempt employee fails the last
question:
"employee exercises discretion and independent judgment with respect to
matters of importance?"

I think tech documentation is important and the writer must use discretion
and independent judgment to write.

The wiggle room that the VP found for the BSAs were the % of time spent on
specific duties. I think the case can be made either way. My question is
which is preferable?

Thanks for your input.

Shirley

----- Forwarded by Shirley Kondek/IT/BalboaInsurance on 04/04/2005 01:14