Re: Job change issue

Subject: Re: Job change issue
From: Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:06:44 -0700

Hi--

I'd like to see anyone with a 100% success rate and we learn from failures
as much as our successes, so I'd have a good laugh privately at the irony.
If you make a big deal out of it everyone else will too. It isn't worth
the stress or the missed opportunity. Besides, nothing is entirely you.
Nobody is THAT important.

I had a similar thing happen a couple of months ago with another company.
I called the manager of the team that I worked on and let him know that I
was being considered for a position and asked if I could use him as a
reference because he could "offer an opinion on how I could help the
company based on the prior experience he had working with me and the new
skills I've gained." If he had anything negative to say I never heard
about it, he had his chance and they still made me an offer. I also never
heard that he gave me a rave review either.

But it was only minor friction, I didn't leave due to it, and I delivered
as promised... Not bailing in the middle of a project because you're a
diva helps. (Generally the term 'Diva" gets conferred after you've left
and been blamed for everything.) I've worked with people who didn't get
the job done at one company who then went to another company and then they
pretty much didn't deliver again. So not much changes.

I guess it depends on what happened, what terms you left on, and all that
jazz. Some companies don't like people who don't fit the culture mode...
That could make a difference.

Good luck! I wonder what John Posada and Lou Q. will say about this one?
Goody goody gumdrops!

Amanda

bounce-techwr-l-201086 -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com wrote on 04/05/2005 04:22:15 PM:

> Hi All:
>
> I am an onsite contract tech writer for a major company (Company No. 1)
in
> the east coast. I got a call from another major company (Company No.
2)for
> another onsite contract, interviewed and got the job. But here is the
> problem:
>
> I used to work for No 2 for a short time as a full time person 4 years
ago
> and left after a few weeks because of bad chemistry with the team and a
> bad fit for my technical skills (the job is not listed on my resume). My
> potential soon to be new manager at No. 2 has no clue that I used to
work
> there but I know he knows the manager I used to work for. Before I take
> this contract, should I tell my potential new manager at company No 2
> about my history there, should I take the contract, or should I turn the
> job down and not provide a reason? How should I approach talking to the
> new manager if I chose to go that route?
>
> Thanks
>
> TecWriter

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com