Re: What notebook did you buy?

Subject: Re: What notebook did you buy?
From: Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:40:19 -0700

Wow! Everyone is totally helpful with suggestions... There's just sooo
much to think about. Is a boot loader the same thing as partitioning the
drive?

I'd rather be able to swap out hard drives... Like have one with NT
4.0/Novell, another with XP Pro, another with Linux (if I ever need
it.)... If the files aren't on the computer, I don't have to worry about
them escaping. Start with XP Pro though since that's all I need right now.

I like the idea of swapping out components:
http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1&categoryId=534
______________________________

David wrote:

You can use a boot loader on most notebooks to run both Windows and
Linux natively. Using an emulator on a notebook with their slow hard
drives would not be optimal (to put it mildly!). This would give you a
simple ability to work seamlessly with your Linux-based client. You
would also have the choice at boot time regarding which system to
bring up.

Judd wrote:

There are companies that make swappable
devices, such as IBM's Thinkpad series, that allows you to yank in and
out CD players, batteries and more, just as if they were cartridges to
an old Atari 2600.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com