Re: What is wrong with this sentence?

Subject: Re: What is wrong with this sentence?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 06:43:38 -0700 (PDT)

> "ABC provides the XYZ interface using which you can create folders
> for storing your personal card information."
>
> Specifically, what's wrong with the use of "using which". I think
> its incorrect, but I am not sure why that is so.

It's not wrong by the rules, at least none that I can identify...it's
a contruction of words that meets all the requirements, but still
reads badly. Maybe its that you don't use the interface, you use the
functionality contained in the interface. The interface is the
presentation of the functionality.

I'd change it.

"ABC provides the XYZ interface through which you can create
folders for storing your personal card information."

or

"ABC provides the XYZ interface with which you can create
folders for storing your personal card information."

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.? - Dave Barry

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com