Re: Trouble finding work

Subject: Re: Trouble finding work
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:50:38 -0400

> IT'S ALL MY FAULT.
> Well, not me specifically, but the "younger" (*cough*) generation of
> technical writers.

I'll happily blame you, but as a "younger" generation person I
disagree that it's "my" fault. ;-)

> As mentioned previously, there are usually two types of tech writers:
> 1- the engineer/programmer with a TW certification
> 2- the English/Journalism major with a back door into high-tech (e.g.,
> a hobbiest techie).

Usually? Really? I'm a rare breed of person who went to an engineering
school for a sciences degree in communication? Wow. My rate just went
up another $20/hr. LOL!!!

> Depending upon your experience and education, you may want to consider
> a Master's in Tech Comm. You'd not only be ahead of those journalism
> "kids" who write computer games for fun, but you could more easily
> convince the HR folks to pay what you want.

Well, as a hiring manager... Homie Don't Play Dat... ;-)

I look at experience first and education second... Well, I look to see
if a candidate has *A* degree, but I weigh real-world experience over
education. I've known too many 4.0 students and candidates who lack
clues... to place any significant weight based on education is asking
for trouble. IMO, education is a supplement and not a core
requirement.

> I'd hate to make this sound like a game of one-upmanship, but, to get
> your name on top, you need something attractive to non-technical
> personnel and management. Anecdotally, I was offered a contract job for
> "up to $20/hr" and I explained that I (now) have a Master's. The next
> day they came back with a significantly higher offer.

Interesting. I've found the ol' cover letter to be that "something
attractive" in my hunt...

> And, definitely, post your resume on EVERY job website you can find.

I dont' use a single one. I don't need the spam, and my personal
network is much stronger than any luck that can come from a job board.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com