Re: What Can We Do?

Subject: Re: What Can We Do?
From: Sharon Burton <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:24:12 -0700

What does your attorney tell you? We're not lawyers and can't advise you on
that.

This is, however, the life of a contractor. I've been let go as I walked in the
door because money fell thru - no 2 weeks warning there. They have the right to
let you go, within the bounds of your contract. My guess is your contract states
they have to give you 2 weeks warning. They did. My guess is that your contract
states that, like a salaried job, they can end the contract at any time for any
reason, as could you.

Take a deep breath. This is something that happens. If it really bothers you,
then don't contract. But salaried people get the same thing. There is no
security, only employment for today.

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting
www.anthrobytes.com
951-369-8590

Quoting "tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com" <tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com>:

> I am highly upset. I left a good company and signed on with a contracting
> company five months ago to work as an on-site contractor for a certain amount
> of time and a certain amount of money. This company (a large international
> company) decided they were paying us too much and told my company they will
> only pay a certain rate (a lot less). My company would not go for that so
> another writer and I have been given two weeks. They are going to interview
> and hire less experienced people for a lot less money.
>
> What gives a company the right to change the rules in the middle of the game?
> I understood that when you signed a contract with a company it is supposed to
> be honored. If they can just change the contract without any repercussions,
> it's not worth the effort to sign the thing. What legal steps can I take?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com