Re: What Can We Do?

Subject: Re: What Can We Do?
From: Jeffrey Osier-Mixon <jefro -at- jefro -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:29:48 -0700

Much depends on the nature of the contract. If you have access to it, look for the words "Either party may terminate this contract at any time for any reason." It is part of the boilerplate for a LOT of contracts, in the fine print that very few of us read. When we do read it, most often we think of it as our own protection, and in fact it is---it is one of the main reasons for contracting in the first place.

Your contracting company should be very, very busy right now finding you another job. Your agreement with them probably has a similar passage. If it does, and if they are NOT very busy right now, it is time to find another contracting company.

tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com wrote:

I am highly upset. I left a good company and signed on with a contracting company five months ago to work as an on-site contractor for a certain amount of time and a certain amount of money. This company (a large international company) decided they were paying us too much and told my company they will only pay a certain rate (a lot less). My company would not go for that so another writer and I have been given two weeks. They are going to interview and hire less experienced people for a lot less money.

What gives a company the right to change the rules in the middle of the game? I understood that when you signed a contract with a company it is supposed to be honored. If they can just change the contract without any repercussions, it's not worth the effort to sign the thing. What legal steps can I take?

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com