Difference between developer guide content and reference information

Subject: Difference between developer guide content and reference information
From: rachna_bhutani -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:27:02 -0600

Hi All,

I have to create a developer guide and a product reference (guide?) for
the same product. These documents will enable developers to create
applications based on the product. However, I am unclear about the type of
content that should be included in each guide. I would appreciate inputs
on how to decide what should go into a developer guide, and what should go
into a product reference document.

According to me, a developer guide should have an architectural overview,
information about key system components, steps in developing an
application, configuration and security information. However, I have
looked at various books, and the reference books also seem to have the
same topics. Both also have code examples. The only difference I noticed
was that the reference books contained a great deal of code examples to
explain the usage and functionality of the functions/methods, classes,
fields etc, whereas the developer guides didn't have as many code
examples.

Suggestions on what kind of information to include in each document would
be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Rachna

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l